[OpenAFS] Odd ubik (?) synchronization problem

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:45:05 -0700

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

>> Here's the tcpdump data from the slave around the point at which things
>> went south.

> Even with five kill -TSTP of the vlserver on the slave, I'm not seeing
> anything particularly useful in those logs.

Okay, it looks like our problems started immediately after the following
log message appeared in VLLog on the master:

Sat Apr 24 23:21:17 2004 ubik:server 171.64.7.246 is back up: will be contacted through 171.64.7.246
      [171.64.17.16]
   It will replace the following existing entry in the VLDB (new uuid):
      entry 6: [171.64.17.16]
      [171.64.17.30]
   It will create a new entry in the VLDB.
      [171.64.17.18]
   It will replace the following existing entry in the VLDB (new uuid):
      entry 7: [171.64.17.18]
      [171.64.17.28]
   It will replace the following existing entry in the VLDB (new uuid):
      entry 0: [171.64.17.28]
      [171.64.17.19]
   It will replace the following existing entry in the VLDB (new uuid):
      entry 1: [171.64.17.19]
      [171.64.17.29]
   It will replace the following existing entry in the VLDB (new uuid):
      entry 4: [171.64.17.29]

Those IP addresses all belong to our AFS file servers, but I can't make
any heads or tales out of the content of the message.  What is that
supposed to mean?