[OpenAFS] Re: Volumes lost on fileserver / vldb post fs crash

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:01:05 +0200

Generally the salvager in MR-AFS can recreate lost directories filling
them with
entries lost+found.<vnode>.<uniquifier>. This is bettter than nothing.

However, if the root directory is lost for some reason that doesn't work.
There was two or three months ago a case on this list where someone
had lost the root directory. I could help him by creating a new empty volume
and then restoring incrementally a dump of his broken volume into this
new one.
The new volume had an empty root directory, of course. Now the
MR-AFS salvager was able to reconnect the whole tree.
The user only had to rename the lost+found entries in the root directory
to the original ones.

Hartmut