[OpenAFS] Fwd: IBM -> OpenAFS solaris 7 upgrade?

John W. Sopko Jr. sopko@cs.unc.edu
Tue, 03 Aug 2004 07:33:55 -0400

Hey everyone,

I would appreciate input on my following situation:

I am currently running 3 Solaris 7 Transarc/IBM database/file servers.
They are running Transarcs patch 8, (Base configuration afs3.6 2.45
with the patch to fix that ubik date problem). Transarc/IBM has stopped
supporting Solaris 7 and we do not want to pay for support to get
updates anyway.

We have been running OpenAFS file servers and clients on Red Hat
linux and it seems to work well. I have tested the OpenAFS file
server only on a Solaris 7 machine. I would like to update my 3
Solaris 7 boxes to OpenAFS. Can I just drop in the binaries like
I normally would for an AFS patch upgrade? I would:

Put the /usr/afs/bin binaries in place on all 3 db/file servers and
restart the lowest to highest IP address. Also put the special fsck
in place.

I guess some of the questions are:

- Is OpenAFS 100% compatible with all my current db servers databases?
   (including the bdb backup database)

- When I upgrade should I stop all the db/file servers then bring them
   up one at a time so I am not momentarily running the Transarc/IBM
   versions at the same time as the OpenAFS versions?

- Anything else to watch out for?

I plan on testing this on a test cell. First wanted to see if this
is a legitimate upgrade path.

--
John W. Sopko Jr.               University of North Carolina
email: sopko AT cs.unc.edu      Computer Science Dept., CB 3175