[OpenAFS] creating multiple volumes/users at once?

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 00:31:39 -0500

On Monday, August 02, 2004 3:05 PM <megarob@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to create volumes (presumably) for all my users.. there are
> tens of thousands of user home directories at the moment (currently on
> a netapp and using nfs) - is there a script or something that I can
> use to automatically create volumes for all these users? Also to
> create for new users on signup in a similar way?

I used a modified version of:
/afs/athena/astaff/project/migration/src/migrate.pl
to migrate my user's home directories from NFS to AFS.

You will need to spend a few hours tweaking the script though.  It was
designed for the MIT environment, which has useful things like hesiod.
Unfortunately, once I migrated all my users, I deleted my modified
version as I have no plans of ever using NFS again.

If people are interested, I'd be willing to spend some time updating
that script to work in more generic environments.

As a side note, are you going to reuse your netapp disk space from an
AFS server using iSCSI?  Or are you going to use it for something else?
Anyone using iSCSI (or some other block-level protocol) disk on their
AFS servers?

<<CDC
Christopher D. Clausen
ACM@UIUC SysAdmin