[OpenAFS] an installation try

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:44:26 -0400

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 01:03:51PM +0200, Ivan Glushkov wrote:
> I try to install openafs-1.3.70 on my laptop from source. I have a Debian
> 3.0 with kernel 2.6.7. I get to a point in which i try afsd start, and the
> answer is:
>
> afsd: WARNING: cache probably too small!
> afsd: malloc() failed for cache file inode table with -25 entries.
>
> I cannot find any information how to install a simple afs client on a
> linux machine. I downloaded the doc-s also, but there all the times it is
> said "Copy the files from the source disk..." I DON'T HAVE A SOURCE DISC!!

the docs are inherited from IBM AFS, which was distributed as binary.

the "source disk" in this case is whatever you download from
www.openafs.org.  if you are compiling from source code it's your build
area, and might not match the layout of the "source disk" properly
(i don't know, i haven't built from source).

> For example I could notg understand do I need a separate partition fot my
> afscache or not? I guess not...

You don't absolutely need one but it is good practice, since AFS becomes
very sad if the disk with the cache fills up.  For testing you should
be fine without a dedicated partition.

However, note that the cache MUST live on an ext2 or ext3 filesystem.
reiser, jfs, xfs, etc, are NOT supported.

Your problem above may be due to a misconfigured cacheinfo file.
look in /usr/vice/etc/cacheinfo (/usr/vice might possibly be /usr/afs
or elsewhere depending how you compiled).   This should look something
like this:

  /afs:/usr/vice/cache:50000

where 50000 is the size of the cache in Kbytes.   DO NOT make this the
full size of the cache partition - leave 20% or so headroom.

danno
--
dan pritts                                       danno@internet2.edu
systems administrator                            734/352-4953 office