[OpenAFS] file corruption after restoring large readonly volumes

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:20:11 -0400

On Wednesday, August 25, 2004 13:08:38 -0700 Brendan Kirby
<bkirby@mvista.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 10:08, Chaskiel M Grundman wrote:
>> There are currently no tools that can be used to do this operation the
>> right way. However, if you use '-overwrite incremental' instead of
>> '-overwrite full' when doing the restore, then the procedure you used
>> should produce a usable volume. (but it's too late now if you've deleted
>> the RO volume at the remote site. if you have done that, then you will
>> have to do a single full release over the slow link or wait for someone
>> (I am not volunteering) to write the necessary code to make 'vos restore
>> -readonly' create the volume with the right parent ID)
>
> How about if I do a vos addsite, then a vos restore -overwrite
> incremental -readonly?  Would that work?

No.  The '-overwrite incremental' tells vos restore to apply the dump you
are providing as an incremental update to an existing volume.  This switch
has effect only if the volume already exists on the target server.

In this case, your "incremental" dump is actually a full dump, but it will
work anyway.  The difference between '-overwrite full' and '-overwrite
incremental' is that the former actually deletes the existing volume and
creates a new one, while the latter does not.  This is critical because for
later releases to work, you need to preserve the existing parent ID, which
happens only if you do not delete the volume.

Since you've already done a -overwrite full on this volume, the existing
volume has already been deleted and the state you need to preserve has
already been lost.  Thus, there is nothing you can do with this volume
short of a normal full release, unless someone writes the code Chaskiel
describes.

However, you should be able to use the '-overwrite incremental' on other
volumes.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer