[OpenAFS] file corruption after restoring large readonly volumes

Brendan Kirby bkirby@mvista.com
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:40:57 -0700

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 13:20, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 25, 2004 13:08:38 -0700 Brendan Kirby
> <bkirby@mvista.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 10:08, Chaskiel M Grundman wrote:
> >> There are currently no tools that can be used to do this operation the
> >> right way. However, if you use '-overwrite incremental' instead of
> >> '-overwrite full' when doing the restore, then the procedure you used
> >> should produce a usable volume. (but it's too late now if you've deleted
> >> the RO volume at the remote site. if you have done that, then you will
> >> have to do a single full release over the slow link or wait for someone
> >> (I am not volunteering) to write the necessary code to make 'vos restore
> >> -readonly' create the volume with the right parent ID)
> >
> > How about if I do a vos addsite, then a vos restore -overwrite
> > incremental -readonly?  Would that work?
>
> No.  The '-overwrite incremental' tells vos restore to apply the dump you
> are providing as an incremental update to an existing volume.  This switch
> has effect only if the volume already exists on the target server.
>
> In this case, your "incremental" dump is actually a full dump, but it will
> work anyway.  The difference between '-overwrite full' and '-overwrite
> incremental' is that the former actually deletes the existing volume and
> creates a new one, while the latter does not.  This is critical because for
> later releases to work, you need to preserve the existing parent ID, which
> happens only if you do not delete the volume.
>
> Since you've already done a -overwrite full on this volume, the existing
> volume has already been deleted and the state you need to preserve has
> already been lost.  Thus, there is nothing you can do with this volume
> short of a normal full release, unless someone writes the code Chaskiel
> describes.
>
> However, you should be able to use the '-overwrite incremental' on other
> volumes.

I didn't think that would work, but I thought I'd ask.  Since I still
have several out of sync volumes that I haven't deleted the RO volume on
the remote machine, I'll try using the vos restore -overwrite
incremental on them.  Thanks for all the help.

Brendan