[OpenAFS] Maximum partition size limitation

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:21:34 +0200

Horst Birthelmer wrote:

>> A volume has a file size limit of X in OpenAFS 1.3 (2GB in 1.2), and a
>> volume size limit of Y.  But also remember the AFS volumes are stored
>> within a filesystem on the file server and that has its own limits
>> depending on the version of the OS you're running.
>>
>> So what are the theoretical and known working values of X and Y?
>>

> X would be the biggest 64 Bits number on Linux and AIX (AFAIK) 2GB on
> the rest of them.
> Y can be anything up to your partition size as long as you didn't set
> volume quotas. ;-)
> partition size is limited by your OS.

The number of blocks is stored in a afs_int32 in the volume-header. This
gives a
limitation of  ~2 TB per volume in OpenAFS. In MR-AFS I was already forced
to change the field to afs_uint32 gaining another 2 TB. Here the largest
volume
has 2951431739 blocks which, of course, are not resident on disk.

Hartmut