[OpenAFS] Maximum partition size limitation

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:16:51 +0200

On Aug 26, 2004, at 10:52 PM, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> [Can we keep this on the list?]

sure ... I just forgot the reply-all
happens all the time, I know

> Horst Birthelmer wrote:

>>> You can move files around between volumes.
>>
>> you're right about that one but then your question is obsolete since
>> you asked about partition limits ...
>> If you plan to move between volumes and those volumes are on the same
>> partition that's pretty uncool if you'll have some limits.
>
> So let's revise the question to to get an answer instead of debating
> about the semantics of the question.
>
> A volume has a file size limit of X in OpenAFS 1.3 (2GB in 1.2), and a
> volume size limit of Y.  But also remember the AFS volumes are stored
> within a filesystem on the file server and that has its own limits
> depending on the version of the OS you're running.
>
> So what are the theoretical and known working values of X and Y?

X would be the biggest 64 Bits number on Linux and AIX (AFAIK) 2GB on
the rest of them.
Y can be anything up to your partition size as long as you didn't set
volume quotas. ;-)
partition size is limited by your OS.