[OpenAFS] Commercial use of OpenAFS ?

Kris Van Hees aedil-afs@alchar.org
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:57:27 -0400

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 07:18:33PM +0200, EC wrote:
> Is this a Linux Plateforme?
> (I'm find the client (1.2.11 on an LFS 5.1.1+2.4.27+grsecurity+libata patch)
> to be very easy to crash when doing some heavy traffic tests).

I cannot say much for the exact combination of kernel patches and such that
you specify as having been added to your 2.4.27 Linux kernel, but I have been
running OpenAFS 1.2.11 rather extensively, and know of large institutions and
companies that have been running the OpenAFS 1.2.11 client in 2.4.x based
linux systems without trouble.  So I'd definitely state that it is quite
suitable for commercial production use.

Are there still issues left to resolve?  Of course, which is why new releases
are being worked on.  Bugs remain, both in existing code and in new code that
is being added for new features and to support additional platforms (and to
keep up with the endless stream of ever-changing kernel source trees).  But
that's true for virtually any software package.

Given your commentary that your system is very easy to crash with OpenAFS 1.2.11
on that kernel with the patches you specify, under heavy traffic tests... Maybe
you would want to post to the openafs-devel list with more specific details on
the environment, details on the specific tests you are running, and information
on the actual crashes (like OOPS output, and any and all analysis you have done
on those crashes?  It is very difficult to determine what is crashing (OpenAFS
or Linux due to conflicting patches) without any information being posted about
it.  And if this is indeed an OpenAFS problem, it sounds like one you would
want to submit ASAP to get people looking into it.  We certainly cannot solve
what we do not know about.  But given my experience with OpenAFS and Linux, I
highly doubt that it is a core OpenAFS problem.  It sounds more like a problem
with that specific combination of kernel patches together with OpenAFS.

	Kris