[OpenAFS] OpenAFS + LVM ?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk@matchmail.com
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:08:18 -0700

Emmanuel Chriqui wrote:

>2) Maybe a silly question about size... partition are limited to 2TB (linux,
>ext3, reiser). What is the file limit ? 1TB ? Since OpenAFS uses volumes as
>files, I suppose this means a volume is limited to 1TB ? ...

Here's a quote from another recent thread:
================
A volume has a file size limit of X in OpenAFS 1.3 (2GB in 1.2), and a
volume size limit of Y.  But also remember the AFS volumes are stored
within a filesystem on the file server and that has its own limits
depending on the version of the OS you're running.

So what are the theoretical and known working values of X and Y?

X would be the biggest 64 Bits number on Linux and AIX (AFAIK) 2GB on
the rest of them.
Y can be anything up to your partition size as long as you didn't set
volume quotas. ;-)
partition size is limited by your OS.

So, basically you're right.