[OpenAFS] dumb pts question

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:21:20 -0400

On Tuesday, August 31, 2004 14:40:38 -0400 Craig Huckabee
<huck@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:

> Nickolai Zeldovich wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 14:20 -0400, Craig Huckabee wrote:
>>
>>> Is pts supposed to be AFSDB record aware
>>

>> Yes, all the tools and the cache manager should be AFSDB-aware.
>> It should be possible to run without a CellServDB file at all
>> (or maybe with an empty one -- I don't quite remember) and have
>> full functionality.
>>
>> -- kolya
>>

> Hmmm - then something is broken here.  A 'pts listentries' fails without
> a valid CellServDB, while afsd & fs seem perfectly happy to run with just
> an entry for our local cell:
>
> CellServDB contains just:
>  >spawar.navy.mil        #SPAWAR Charleston, SC
>
> and we get this:
> [root@flamingo etc]# pts listentries
> Name                          ID  Owner Creator
> pts: no servers appear to be up ; unable to list entries
>
> I have to list all of the servers for that command to work.  However, fs
> seems happy:

'fs' doesn't need to know anything about cell configuration; all it does is
make syscalls.  So it's not a good indicator of anything.

It is possible and even likely that the cache manager's handling of a
CellServDB entry with no servers is different from that of the cellconfig
library routines.  Try listing your cell with a set of valid servers, or
not at all.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer