[OpenAFS] rought timeline for 1.4.x

Michael Niksch nik@zurich.ibm.com
Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:45:41 +0100

 > So Solaris, Linux, Darwin are all one platform now? Is that platform
 > "Unix"? ;-)

I don't see where I would have said that. However, compared to the
Windows platform, which seems to have been separate for quite some time
now, the answer still might (and probably better should) be something
like "yes, kind of". That "Unix" platform should also embrace AIX.

I am aware that nobody has all hardware and OS variants at hand, but if
we don't keep fighting for common source and a minimal number of
"#ifdef"s, we will one day get to the point where a client on platform X
won't work with a server on platform Y anymore, which would render
OpenAFS pretty much pointless.

I can offer my help reporting problems discovered while compiling and
using OpenAFS on AIX 4.3.3, AIX 5.1, AIX 5.2, and one day AIX 5.3, both
32- and 64-bit. Unfortunately, I am neither a kernel nor a programming
expert, so I won't be able to fix too many of those problems myself, let
alone in a clean way that doesn't further mess up the code.

--
Michael Niksch                     /Zurich/IBM @ IBMCH
IBM Zurich Research Laboratory     nik@zurich.ibm.com