[OpenAFS] rought timeline for 1.4.x

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:49:50 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Michael Niksch wrote:

>> So Solaris, Linux, Darwin are all one platform now? Is that platform
>> "Unix"? ;-)
>
> I don't see where I would have said that.

No stable cross-platform release. Well, either they're all one platform or
they aren't. So you either said it already, or not.

> However, compared to the Windows
> platform, which seems to have been separate for quite some time now, the
> answer still might (and probably better should) be something like "yes, kind
> of". That "Unix" platform should also embrace AIX.

No argument. Likewise Irix and HP-UX, I think Tru64 is dying.

> will one day get to the point where a client on platform X won't work with a
> server on platform Y anymore, which would render OpenAFS pretty much
> pointless.

There are no such issues. The client is binary, it works or it doesn't. At
least, so far.

> I can offer my help reporting problems discovered while compiling and using
> OpenAFS on AIX 4.3.3, AIX 5.1, AIX 5.2, and one day AIX 5.3, both 32- and
> 64-bit. Unfortunately, I am neither a kernel nor a programming expert, so I
> won't be able to fix too many of those problems myself, let alone in a clean
> way that doesn't further mess up the code.

Sure, but without an AIX system I can only stab in the dark at your bugs.

That said, it looks like there are patches to make you happy in CVS now.