[OpenAFS] Re: "user doesn't exist" ... !?

Garry Glendown garry@nethinks.com
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:19:37 +0100

Horst Birthelmer wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2004, at 11:52 AM, Garry Glendown wrote:
>
>> After the problems with the fs command, I started all over with the
>> config, again following the documentation ... fs now works fine
>> without any problems, but now I can't authentiate anymore ... The
>> amdin/afs users are created as far as I can tell ...
>>
>> ka> list
>> AuthServer.Admin
>> krbtgt.FILES
>> afs
>> admin
>> ka> examine admin
>>
>> User data for admin (ADMIN)
>>   key (0) cksum is 1099486275, last cpw: Sun Dec 19 10:05:58 2004
>>   password will never expire.
>>   An unlimited number of unsuccessful authentications is permitted.
>>   entry never expires.  Max ticket lifetime 25.00 hours.
>>   last mod on Sun Dec 19 10:06:12 2004 by <none>
>>   permit password reuse
>>
>>  # klog admin
>> Password:
>> Unable to authenticate to AFS because user doesn't exist.
>>  # cat /usr/local/etc/openafs/server/UserList
>> admin
>>
>> It must be reading the user data correctly, as it can notice a
>> mistyped password:
>>  # klog admin
>> Password:
>> Unable to authenticate to AFS because password was incorrect.
>>
>> Where can I look to find the reason for this?
>>

> When you said you started over, did that mean you deleted the DB files
> for ptserver and kaserver, too??
> Did you insert another key (the bos addkey stuff)??

I thought so, but

> If you have enough time and motivation you can start over from scratch
> by deleting the databases in /usr/local/var/openafs/db, too, and create

I missed those files ... anyway, cleaned it up, but now I get:

  # klog admin
Password:
Unable to authenticate to AFS because a pioctl failed.

Using a "wrong" password, I get the error to be expected:

  # klog admin
Password:
Unable to authenticate to AFS because password was incorrect.

Did the whole thing twice, still the same result :(

this is starting to annoy me ;)

Tnx, -gg