[OpenAFS] Parsing volume info off local fileservers

Peter Scott Peter.J.Scott@jpl.nasa.gov
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:38:15 -0800

We desire to dump metadata about all directories in the local cell to a
database, including, but not limited to, the locations of mount points
and ACLs.  Sanity checks on performance and capacity say this is quite doable.

Currently we gather this data via client side code doing ordinary tree
walking.  Hideous execution time as you might expect, not to mention
server and network impact.  We know it can be done on the server
instead by parsing the volume headers and snagging the raw inodes.  We
have pointers to some code that leads in that direction, but it leaves
much to the imagination and a lot of work to be done.  We'd much rather
be Lazy.  Has anyone done anything like this already or knows someone
else who has?
--
Peter Scott
Peter.J.Scott@jpl.nasa.gov