[OpenAFS] Dear Transarc, I Quit! Love, Moose

John Hascall john@iastate.edu
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:44:50 CST

"Douglas E. Engert" <deengert@anl.gov> writes:
> John Hascall wrote:
> > I too would like to express my thanks to IBM/Transarc/name-of-the-week
> > for sticking a big fat knife in my workplace politics.  As far as I know
> > they *still* haven't produced a patched version for Digital/Compaq/HP/whate
ver
> > Unix which we still have on some of our servers (including our AFS DBs).

> Well, in defense of Transarc, as a former Transarc contact, I received two
> notes yesterday that last one sent at Sat, 10 Jan 2004 22:32:26 -0500 ...

I too was a Transarc contact for over a decade.  We all know when they
went in the crapper...

IBM wakes up 9 hours after the problem starts, and after I already
have us up and running, converted to OpenAFS, and they still won't
have anything for 3 more hours.  And they *still* haven't got a release
for the version of Tru64 we have on our AFS-DBs.  I am not whelmed.

John
PS, yes I know Tru64 is a dead end, but I so overspec'd our AFS-DBs
    that we've pretty much just left them sleeping dogs lie for years..