[OpenAFS] krb_mk_req failure

Christopher Allen Wing wingc@engin.umich.edu
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:43:57 -0500 (EST)

If you experienced this problem after upgrading to the latest Transarc AFS
db servers, it's due to a change which disables Kerberos 4 cross-realm
authentication. (on account of the security vulnerability disclosed last
year)

Unfortunately, this also disables all Kerberos 4 principals with instances
(i.e. imap.hostname).

The fix is to make sure that 'kaserver' runs with the '-crossrealm' flag,
e.g. your

	/usr/afs/local/BosConfig

should have an entry:

	bnode simple kaserver 1
	parm /usr/afs/bin/kaserver -crossrealm
	end

This will make those Kerberos 4 principals work again, but also open you
up to the cross-realm authentication vulnerability. I think this is okay
as long as you don't actually have cross-realm keys, but I'm not sure.
Comments from anyone?

In the long term, you should upgrade to Kerberos 5.

-Chris Wing
wingc@engin.umich.edu