Re[3]: [OpenAFS] Creating RPM's

Ron Croonenberg ronc@depauw.edu
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:26:46 CT

>Do you want to continue rebuilding your own openafs RPMs until the end of
>time, though? (with each new version that comes out)

end of time ?  *S*  no.  I only update the machines every so often (3-4 times a
year).  But it sounds that it is way more complicated  then something simple as
a reverse of rpm -i or something.

We're using kickstart btw.

thanks,

Ron

>The way we've generally done stuff here is to copy over configuration
>files after the OS is installed. For instance if you are using something
>like Red Hat jumpstart, just write a %post script that un-tars a tarfile
>in / containing all your system config files. This way you only need to
>maintain one tar file, rather than re-building the RPMs of every package
>containing a config file you wish to change.
>
>-Chris
>wingc@engin.umich.edu
>

>On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Ron Croonenberg wrote:
>
>> In general,  true,  but...
>>
>> I want to install it on some 20 (or more) pc's. I boot the machines using pxe
>> and re-format/partition the harddrive.
>>
>> So once I have the rpm's build, it's easy to rebuild a machine
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Ron

 Ron Croonenberg               | Phone: 1 765 658 4761
 Technology Coordinator        | Fax:   1 765 658 4732

 Department of ComputerScience | e-mail : ronc@DePauw.edu
 DePauw University             |
 Julian Science & Math Center  | http://www.depauw.edu/acad/computer/RonCroonenberg.asp
 602 South College Ave.        |