Re[3]: [OpenAFS] Creating RPM's

Christopher Allen Wing wingc@engin.umich.edu
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:39:36 -0500 (EST)

The only way of building RPMs that I'm familiar with is to work from the
source RPM. This assumes that you have all the necessary compilers and
include files installed. The OpenAFS RPM is a bit tricky because it also
expects multiple versions of the kernel source RPMs to be installed (so
that it can compile kernel modules for different Red Hat errata kernels).

You could make a RPM from existing binaries, but you'd have to go out and
write your own RPM spec file to hack this up. I'm not aware of an
automated tool to do so (although perhaps something exists; I'm thinking
of the "alien" program which used to convert between RPMs and Debian
packages, etc)

If you have a lot of config files to distribute, the easiest way would be
to create a tarball and then extract it in the kickstart %post script. You
can use wget or whatever to pull it off your server.

-Chris
wingc@engin.umich.edu