[OpenAFS] offsite backup

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:22:03 -0500

On Wednesday, January 21, 2004 14:51:42 -0800 Noel Burton-Krahn
<noel@bkbox.com> wrote:

> I will check out dumpscan.  I don't suppose you've tried compiling your
> dumpscan under windows?  It doesn't look like dumptool will compile under
> windows.  Sigh.

I've never tried.  I wouldn't expect significant problems with the code
itself, given the right build environment, but the Makefile assume one of
Linux or Solaris, depending on what mood I'm in on any given day.

> "vos dump" looks good, but another glitch:   You have to be an AFS admin
> to dump any volume, including your home.  It would be nice to be able to
> dump any files you have read access to, but I guess AFS can't tell the
> permissions at a volume level.  I'd like all regular users to be able to
> dump their home.

It's not terribly unreasonable to let users dump volumes which they own.
It's just inconvenient to do that in the current system, since the volume
owner is a vice ID and the volserver has only a principal name.