[OpenAFS] Quorum Election Problem

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:18:15 -0500

On Wednesday, January 21, 2004 23:52:20 -0500 Derrick J Brashear
<shadow@dementia.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Derek T. Yarnell wrote:
>
>> Yeah, let me explain.
>>
>> I have two database/fileservers that straddle the interior/exterior
>> networks. I then have 4 exterior nodes that act as remote login nodes.
>> I have 25 interior clients that access the the afs file/database
>> servers as their interior network names.  The database/fileservers have
>> independent host names (queasy.csic.umd.edu and
>> queasy-int.csic.umd.edu) which resolv to independent ip addresses.
>
> Yeah, i still don't care which you use in CellServDB, but it better be the
> one corresponding to the hostname the machine returns when you run
> hostname
> from the command line.

More specifically, you have three CellServDB files to worry about:

- The one on the "outside" clients, which should contain only the
externally visible addresses.

- The one on the "inside" clients, which should presumably contain only the
interior addresses.

- The one used by the servers themselves.  This lives in /usr/afs/etc or
/etc/openafs/server, depending on how you built OpenAFS.  This file must be
the same on all three servers, and should contain _exactly_ one line for
each server.  As Derrick points out, that line should have the name you get
when you run 'hostname' on that machine, and the IP address you get when
you resolve that name via DNS.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer