[OpenAFS] OpenAFS + Linux +XP

Theo van den Bout theoml@arum.et.tudelft.nl
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:10:38 +0100

>>We don't have a pre-existing windows domain.
>>
>>I need roaming profiles because that's the only way the students can
>>configure their own
>>dekstop, set defaults etc. Right?
>>
>>And we can only do that when we start using a domain which we sofar have
>>managed to avoid.
>>
>>The accounts only exist in AFS, nowhere else.
>>

>Then how about setting up a Samba PDC for a new NT domain?

Yeah, that's what i'm thinking about.

More precisely:
- RedHat 9 server with  openafs 1.2.11
- use pam to authenticate against the kas server by default
- configure Samba 3.* as  PDC

But I'm fuzzy about the password part.
I know i can make Windows XP use plain text passwords, but will this
work with a samba PDC??

> Samba wouldn't
>provide any file service, only for the logon scripts. You can configure a
>global drive for your cell in the windows afs client and point the profile
>directories in samba to afs.

You mean using a windows afs client AND samba? Why should i wanne do
that? Isn't it easier
to do everything through samba shares?

> The only trouble here is that you will have to
>maintain both the Kerberos passwords and the SMB password hashes (probably in
>LDAP).

This is what i'm hoping to avoid by using 'pam + samba + plain text
passwords'.

Will it work??

The best
Theo