[OpenAFS] Help: intermittent fileservice hangs

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:05:47 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 cball@bu.edu wrote:

> Over the past weekend we had numerous, intermittent AFS access problems.

Guess: you were running out of threads.

rxdebug (fileserver) 7000
when it's happening.

> read-write below the WWW root directory.  Switching the WWW root into
> "maintenance mode" (an alternate root directory volume with read-only
> mounts) solved the problem.  Monday the original scenario was restored;
> we've gone 30 hours without a relapse.

Too many callbacks being broken, perhaps.

> Fileserver and database server logs showed nothing out of the ordinary.
> This is a fundamental concern; while different options may be appropriate
> it is quite disturbing to transition into a non-functional state with
> nothing in /usr/afs/logs [that I understand] to indicate a problem.

kill -TSTP fileserver-pid

turns up the logging, which goes in /usr/afs/logs/FileLog

> "-p <#processes>" options which appear to be interesting.  Is there a way
> to query or log utilization levels or to get an indication when limits are
> exceeded?

Look at the threads as above. the xstat_fs_test program also exposes some
useful data