[OpenAFS] repeatable win2K exceptions

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:30:47 -0800

Thanks for the update.

I wouldn't dare run an AFS server under Win but the GUI's are =
instructive -
especially for novice users like myself. The server manager seems to =
work
fine - so far. The control center is handy.

Except for the GUI warning sign I wouldn't have realized that "root.afs
exists on /vicepa of server nankook but has no corresponding VLDB =
entry".

The other AFS server (Hiawatha) seems fine.

Any clue about the VLDB warning?=20

tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org =
[mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Rodney M Dyer
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 1:45 PM
To: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: RE: [OpenAFS] repeatable win2K exceptions

Ted,

At 01:47 PM 1/27/2004, ted creedon wrote:
>Programs-->OpenAFS-->Control Center-->Account Manager
>
>Creates exceptions without fail

Just a note from a historical user of the AFS client on Windows...

We first obtained the Transarc Windows AFS client back in late 1996 with =

version 3.4a.  The first AFS client did not come with the Control =
Center,=20
Server manager, nor did it allow running an AFS server on a NT=20
system.  Later Transarc released version 3.5 which came with all the=20
"extras".  I tried the "extras", and in fact setting up a simple cell on =
an=20
NT 4.0 system.  The "extras" all seemed to work ok, but I was just =
toying=20
around with them.  When Windows 2000 arrived, I tried the "extras" again =

and found problems.  Since then, I don't advocate running anything other =

than the AFS client itself.  I assume the "extra" stuff should work, but =
it=20
hasn't been reliable.  This is especially true since Transarc released =
the=20
code to the OpenAFS group.  Only the client is the most tested, most =
used=20
piece of software, and even it isn't perfect.

I think the problem with the "extras" is due to Transarcs dismantling by =

IBM in early 2000.  Since the "extras" were designed on NT 4 some =
changes=20
were needed under 2k.  But, until this day I don't think some of the =
code=20
has been "fixed", and there are very few people in the OpenAFS group who =

can look at the Windows "extras" issues because so much time is invested =
in=20
fixing the normal client issues.

I may be wrong, but I've heard little...even anecdotal evidence that=20
suggests people are using the "extras".  If anyone out there is=20
successfully running a cell off of a 2k system I'd like to hear about=20
it.  Anybody use the server manager?  How many use the control center?

Sure, I'd like all the "extras" to work the way they were intended, but =
I=20
would not trust them.

Just my 2 cents.

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer
Windows Systems Programmer
Mosaic Computing Group
William States Lee College of Engineering
Email: rmdyer@uncc.edu
Web: http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer
Phone (704)687-3518
Help Desk Line (704)687-3150