[OpenAFS] Volume corruption on Solaris 2.7.

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:24:37 -0500

On Wednesday, January 28, 2004 17:07:01 -0500 "Larry W. Cashdollar"
<lwc@vapid.ath.cx> wrote:

> I have an issue with recovering volumes after a system has crashed.  It
> appears after my system comes back online, the salvager and the fileserver
> core dump.   They core dump until I remove /vicepa/*.vol.  I verified that
> I  have the correct fsck and changes to /sbin/mountall.  What I am
> forgetting?  I know it is something I am doing wrong, but cant figure out
> what.

You didn't tell us what signal the salvager and fileserver are dying on,
but since it's dying in syscall() as called by iopen(), I'll guess it's
signal 12 (SIGSYS), and that it's because you haven't loaded the AFS kernel
module, which provides the special system calls used to access data on the
vice partitions.  Removing the .vol files will appear to make the problem
go away, since the salvager won't think it has any volumes to check.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer