[OpenAFS] AFS suitability for hosting..

Rob megarob@gmail.com
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 14:59:26 +0200

Hi,

I've been thinking of using AFS for a (existing) hosting system but
not sure if its really suitable..

First - can servers running afs server and client along with apache
(on linux) handle high traffic? Does afs use a lot of resources
(cpu/memory) in such a case?

Second - currently the users do not actually have system accounts at
all - authentication including ftp is handled through a mysql db..  as
the users do not have 'real' accounts I don't want to create afs
accounts for them all either.. just directories on the afs 'disk'
which will then be handled in the same way as we do now.  Can I create
volumes that are writable by all ftp users, assuming they already
authenticated through my current db and the ftp server restricts them
to their home directories, without authenticating again through afs?

Final question (for now ;)) - from what I can make out from the docs,
replication is based on volumes and when a single file is changed or a
new file is uploaded in a volume then the entire volume has to be
replicated each time rather than just replicating that file - is that
true?

Thanks.