[OpenAFS] server process hang on salvage attempt

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:52:15 -0400

On Friday, July 02, 2004 14:08:57 -0400 Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu>
wrote:

> On Friday, July 02, 2004 13:44:52 -0400 Joseph H Vilas <jhv@oit.duke.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Then it hangs.  The volserver will answer a vos status request, but
>> any request for real information (like vos listvol) will not return.
>> It looks like the fssync thread in the fileserver is just not coming
>> back.
>
> Yup.  It's trying to select on a connection from something (a salvager,
> perhaps), only the file descriptor it wants to select on doesn't actually
> fit in an fd_set because on Solaris 9, FD_SETSIZE is smaller than the
> default hard file descriptor limit.
>
> You need the following patch:

> diff -ru openafs-1.2.10fs/src/lwp/lwp.c openafs-1.2.10fs2/src/lwp/lwp.c
> --- openafs-1.2.10fs/src/lwp/lwp.c	Tue Aug  7 20:03:52 2001
> +++ openafs-1.2.10fs2/src/lwp/lwp.c	Fri Jun 18 13:48:10 2004

It's been pointed out to me that I inadvertently included changes to this
file in the patch.  While I believe these changes are a good idea in the
long run, they are not a necessary part of the fix to the problem Joe is
seeing.

-- Jeff