[OpenAFS] New Server problems

Michael Robokoff mrobo@ahpcrc.org
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:09:29 -0500

I have built and installed 2 new afs servers to replace some older
equipment and I am have a strange problem and I was wondering if
anyone can help with this.

Here is the problem. The 3 original servers are a, b, & c. The new
servers are a1 & b1. When I add the new servers as database servers
to a, b, & c's  CellServDB file and restart the DB services all
works fine. The problem is when I add b1 to a1's CellServDB file
and restart the db services or if I add a1 to b1's  CellServDB file
and restart the db services. In either case the DB services fail
to start as shown by bos status output below.

Instance buserver, temporarily disabled, stopped for too many errors, currently shutdown.
Instance ptserver, temporarily disabled, stopped for too many errors, currently shutdown.
Instance vlserver, temporarily disabled, stopped for too many errors, currently shutdown.

As long as b1 is not in a1's CellServDB file and vice versa everything is fine.

CellServDB on a1 before: (works)

Cell name is whatever.org
    Host 1 is a.whatever.org
    Host 2 is b.whatever.org
    Host 3 is c.whatever.org
    Host 4 is a1.whatever.org

CellServDB on a1 after: (fails)

Cell name is whatever.org
    Host 1 is a.whatever.org
    Host 2 is b.whatever.org
    Host 3 is c.whatever.org
    Host 4 is a1.whatever.org
    Host 5 is b1.whatever.org

However this is the CellServDB file on a, b, & c and they work.

Cell name is whatever.org
    Host 1 is a.whatever.org
    Host 2 is b.whatever.org
    Host 3 is c.whatever.org