[OpenAFS] New Server problems

Michael Robokoff mrobo@ahpcrc.org
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:34:17 -0500

Actually, I found the problem. This was the result of the
bos command not actually restarting the processes. I have
all the CellServBD files the same now and all are running.
I just had to manually kill and restart the processes.

Thanks for the info tho.

--Mike

Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 13, 2004 08:09:29 -0500 Michael Robokoff
> <mrobo@ahpcrc.org> wrote:
>
>> I have built and installed 2 new afs servers to replace some older
>> equipment and I am have a strange problem and I was wondering if
>> anyone can help with this.
>>
>> Here is the problem. The 3 original servers are a, b, & c. The new
>> servers are a1 & b1. When I add the new servers as database servers to a,
>> b, & c's  CellServDB file and restart the DB services all works fine. The
>> problem is when I add b1 to a1's CellServDB file and restart the db
>> services or if I add a1 to b1's  CellServDB file and restart the db
>> services. In either case the DB services fail
>> to start as shown by bos status output below.
>

> Uh.  You are asking for trouble if the CellServDB's are not the same on
> all of your database servers.  The voting algorithm requires that every
> server's copy of the server list be identical, or bad things will happen.
>

> You included fairly boring output from 'bos status', but nothing from
> the logfiles.  If you loog at the logs, the ptserver and vlserver should
> indicate _why_ they are failing to start.
>
> -- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+@cmu.edu>
>   Sr. Research Systems Programmer
>   School of Computer Science - Research Computing Facility
>   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA

Thank you,

Michael Robokoff
Systems Programmer / Administrator
Army High Performance Computing Research Center

mrobo@ahpcrc.org
612-337-3559 Desk

"This message (including any attachments) may contain proprietary or
privileged information, the use and disclosure of which is legally
restricted.  If you have received this message in error please
notify the sender by reply message, do not otherwise distribute it,
and delete this message, with all of its contents, from your files."

NOTICE: The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those
of the "Army High Performance Computing Research Center" or of the
personnel associated with it.