[OpenAFS] Odd vfsck behavior under Solaris 9

Dale Ghent daleg@umbc.edu
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:52:34 -0400

I have two Solaris 9 servers, similarly configured regarding patch
level , hardware and disk layout.

One of them is exhibiting an odd problem that the other one is not. It
appears that AFS's fsck on the problem child server refuses to work
when passed a raw device as the argument. This of course causes
problems when the machine boots and fsck is kicked off to test the file
systems.

the problem exhibits itself as such:

[root@hfs6]~>/usr/lib/fs/afs/fsck /dev/md/rdsk/d1
----Open AFS (R) openafs 1.2.11 fsck----
** /dev/md/rdsk/d1

CANNOT READ: BLK 0
CONTINUE? [yn]

If I answer "y" twice, the fsck performs.

Now if I pass AFS fsck the block device, it goes on its merry way
without complaining.

So in summary, the problem is AFS fsck not liking to look at the raw
device... but it should. UFS fsck does not complain at all.

any thoughts?

/dale