[OpenAFS] Redundant cell

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:42:04 +0200

You don't need another cell, just other database and - may be - fileserver
on your other floor. If the connection is cut off the sync-site database
server
(the one with the lower ip-address) will work as before and the other one
should still be sufficient to reply to read-olnly requests such as
volume location or pts membership requests.  Most cells are built with this
redundancy because it is one of the main feautures of AFS.

-Hartmut

Sensei wrote:
> Hi. I'm back and I have a question, maybe not so common. :)
>
> I've built an openafs cell, on debian stable. It authenticates over
> kerberos 5, and gains a token from openafs_session, so no kaserver and
> no passwords anywhere other than kerberos db. Good it works. Now, my
> question about it is: how to make it redundant?
>
> We have a quite unreliable network. The server is on one floor and I'm
> thinking about having a second server on the second floor. I need these
> two cells to work cooperatively but ``independent'' one from each other.
>
> In other words, if the link between the two servers goes down, each
> floor keep to authenticate and work. Login can work fine, even without
> the home directory, which can reside on the other server. How can I do
> this?
>
> Do not bother about krb5. I'm dealing now with all the afs issues.

Hartmut Reuter                           e-mail reuter@rzg.mpg.de
					   phone +49-89-3299-1328
RZG (Rechenzentrum Garching)               fax   +49-89-3299-1301
Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and the
Institut fuer Plasmaphysik (IPP)