[OpenAFS] oAFS & Arla

Mike Fedyk mfedyk@matchmail.com
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:19:34 -0700

Jimmy Engelbrecht wrote:

>Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@matchmail.com> writes:
>

>>Why doesn't OpenAFS merge with Arla?
>>

>Both products have big benefits.
>
>- Arla has some cool stuff like fs getstatistics that you will never see in
>  openafs.

Why not, is it racy?

>- Arla has a cool adaptive mechanism that decides which replica to use.

Like the replica with the fastest response, or lowest hop count or what?

>- The OpenAFS client is completly written in the kernel, which is not only
>  scary but also hard to port to new plattforms, it also limits the ammount
>  of coll features you want to implement.

Ahh, no wonder the Linux Kernel people don't like OpenAFS much...

>- OpenAFS is ported to far more plattforms.
>- The OpenAFS people do a lot of binray releases.
>
>I work on both projects. I see no benefits with a merge at this time.
>

>>It is said arla has a stable client, and 2.6 support without syscall
>>table hacks.
>>

>What you mean is that you dont need to patch your kernel when you run arla
>on current 2.6 kernels. There is still an ugly hack inside the arlacode to
>hook the syscalltable, so that you dont need to care where your OS-vendor
>is hiding the syscalltable this week.
>
>But we try to find another sollution.

So the LK guys removed the export of syscall_table, what mechanism did
they replace it with?

I saw something about a hook for NFS.  Is it not generic enough?

>>Are the BSD and IPL licenses compatible?
>>

>We can in most cases, and we copy some code from each other.
>

>> That way, you could pick and
>>choose the parts from arla you want,
>>

>well, thats what most people do.
>

>>and split on file boundaries.
>>

>what do you mean ?

If the licenses aren't mixable in a single file, maybe they're link
mixable.  BSD in one file, IPL in another...

>> If
>>not then BSD (without the advertising clause) is supposedly compatible
>>with just about anything.  So could it be "transformed" into IPL
>>licensed code?
>>

>Thats how i interpret it, but i am not a lawyer and dont care that much
>either.
>

>>How production ready is their client (especially the Linux kernel module)?
>>

>Linux and the BSD's is fine.

Linux is what I'm concerned with.

BTW, where did the AFS code in vanilla kernel.org 2.6 come from?