[OpenAFS] oAFS & Arla

Mike Fedyk mfedyk@matchmail.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:13:03 -0700

Thomas Kirk wrote:

>Hep
>
>On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:13:23PM -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>

>>Actually, it's much cooler than that.  Arla keeps track of the apparent
>>performance of each server it talks to (which can be a function of actual
>>fileserver capabilities, network speed, distance, load, etc), and
>>dynamically adjusts what fraction of its requests are sent to each server
>>accordingly.

How does that deal with file versioning where a file is updated on the
r/w volume, and being transferred to the several r/o volumes?  Is it an
atomic switch once the transfer is complete, or can you see partial
updates nfs style?

>Does OpenAFS work this way to or how is the "load" distributed among
>more OpenAFS servers?

I read once on the lists, that it only uses one r/o volume, and it picks
the one with the lowest IP address even if it's not local.  But I really
hope it was wrong.

Mike