[OpenAFS] Version (was Re: Error when moving volumes)

Dr A V Le Blanc Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk>
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:06:03 +0100

On Mon 28 Jun 2004 at 17:57:30 -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
> Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
> Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Error when moving volumes
>
> I suggest you send the output of
>
> rxdebug marvin 7005 -version
>
> which will indicate the actual version of the running volserver.

I'm a little doubtful of the accuracy of this; I'm running server
binaries compiled from Debian's openafs-1.2.11-1 source and diffs;
when I run rxdebug on my servers, I get this result:

     > rxdebug xxxxx 7005 -version
     Trying 130.88.xxx.xx (port 7005):
     AFS version:  OpenAFS 1.2.10 built  2004-01-12

(the source was released on January 11 at
www-openafs.central.org/release/latest.html.)

Of course, the number reported is the one in the compiled source;
someone has released a version which contains the file configure-libafs
apparently generated from an old template.  If I look at the debian
binary for vlserver from the same site, I find this:

     OpenAFS 1.2.10 built  2004-01-11

Admittedly Debian's build procedure is a little different, but
can it not be that other binaries have the wrong version number
built into them?

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk