[OpenAFS] OAFS/LDAP Integration & List Archive weirdness

Kevin openafs@gnosys.biz
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:17:51 -0500

Hi All-

Many thanks to Andrew Bacchi and David Miller for
recently suggesting LDAP integration with OAFS and MIT
KRB5 to me.

I now have my client machines configured with PAM and
the pam_unix2 library to do authentication against the
KDC and then obtain user data (uidNumber, gidNumber,
home directory, loginShell, etc.) from an OpenLDAP
server.  This seems to work well for me thus far (I've
not yet created any real users in the AFS system,
though).

Now that I have this much integrated though, I was
wondering about further LDAP integration with OAFS and
so spent some time searching the list archives, the
TWiki, Google, etc. for information on this.

On the list archives, I found a thread back in March
2001 started by Leif Johansson on the subject of
putting some of the data that goes in pts into an LDAP
directory instead:
https://lists.central.org/pipermail/info-afs/2001-March/000123.html

This generated some discussion on the list and it
sounded like there was some real interest in doing so
at the time.  However, I see no recent discussion
about this subject.  Was anything done in regards to
this issue or was it deemed a bad idea after all?

I've seen some pretty recent statements on the list
that the OAFS docs might not have the latest
information on some issues, and I'm just curious to
know if there are any other ways that I can ease the
task of maintaining this network using LDAP
integration, specifically with regard to OAFS.

I will ultimately be adding WinXPP and MacOSX clients
to this network (right now only Linux boxes), and
would like to keep as much user data in a single
centralized location as possible, and LDAP seems like
a good way to do so.

How are other folks doing this?  Specific details (like
the structure of your Directory Information Trees in
LDAP) would be most helpful to me.

The second half of the subject is simply to report what
seems to be some very odd behavior in the web archive
of this list.

It showed up for me most clearly as I was trying to
read the thread started by Theo van den Bout on Thu,
22 Jan 2004 16:26:05 +0100 with subject "OpenAFS +
Linux +XP" using the web interface (I only just joined
the list early last month so I don't have these in my
own archive).

If I sort the month by thread, then the resulting index
shows this thread as six separate threads all with the
same subject and they're not adjacent to eachother so
it's quite difficult to follow the thread from one
article to the next using the index sorted by thread.
And if I link to the first article in the thread and
then follow the links entitled, "Next message:" then I
walk through the thread and miss several articles.

Is this normal behavior?  It's different from what I
would expect, and so I thought I'd mention it in case
nobody else is aware of it.  Or perhaps it's doing
what it should and I'm just not seeing what it should
be doing?

TIA for any thoughts on LDAP integration with OAFS.

-Kevin