[OpenAFS] chown'ing and chgrp'ing user volume mount points

Kevin openafs@gnosys.biz
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 23:29:16 -0500

Quick question if I could (sorry if it's a dumb one):

AFS UIDs are positive integers, right, and AFS GIDs are
negative integers?  The guidance in the docs on
creating new users with pts createuser and so forth
has you chown the newly created mount point to the
newly created AFS UID.  However, there's nothing on
chgrp'ing that same mount point to be that of the main
group that the new AFS user belongs to.  Should there
be something along those lines?  And if so, how does
one do it?  chgrp seems to check the local /etc/group
file for defined groups (and fails when it's not
there), and furthermore, trying to pass an argument
that begins with a hyphen to the chgrp command is not
straightforward to me:

chgrp -500 /afs/.folkvang.org/usr/user1

Doesn't fly.  I even tried escaping the hyphen with a
\- and '-' and "-" but still no go.  How do I do this?

TIA.

-Kevin