[OpenAFS] chown'ing and chgrp'ing user volume mount points

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:56:44 -0800

Kevin <openafs@gnosys.biz> writes:

> Quick question if I could (sorry if it's a dumb one):

> AFS UIDs are positive integers, right, and AFS GIDs are negative
> integers?

AFS doesn't have GIDs.  AFS doesn't do anything at all with the GID in the
sense that you're thinking of, and the GID is meaningless in AFS except
for setgid programs.

PTS groups are a completely different entity entirely, and have nothing to
do with file ownership.

You can set the GID of files and directories in AFS to anything that you
find convenient.  It should not be negative and shouldn't have anything to
do with PTS groups.

To grant a PTS group access to a directory, add it to the ACL using fs.