[OpenAFS] Tickets, tokens, foreign cells, etc.

Kevin openafs@gnosys.biz
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 12:44:17 -0500

Hi All-

This started as a much longer post which I just filed
away in my drafts folder because I may be able to
distill it down to something more succinct:

Questions:
1) As an AFS user defined in the pts database (without
admin privileges), should I be able to see foreign
cells that are mounted at /afs/foreign_cell when
logged in to any client machine that mounts the AFS
filesystem at /afs?  I can see them when I'm logged in
as such as user to the _server_ machine (also
configured as a client), but not when logged in as
such a user to a client-only machine.  Do I have to
explicitly make each foreign cell available on each
client machine somehow?

2) The login process on the client machine
automatically (using pam) obtains both a krbtgt and an
afs service ticket (I'm using MIT kerby 5 for auth).
Immediately after logging in, the output of the tokens
command is:
jg@athena:~> /usr/afsws/bin/tokens

Tokens held by the Cache Manager:

Tokens for afs@folkvang.org [Expires ...]
   --End of list--
jg@athena:~>

(It doesn't list the user's AFS ID)

But when I kinit as this same user on the server
machine, and then do aklog (not the pam guided login
process on the client-only machine), and then do a
tokens command, I get:

Tokens held by the Cache Manager:

User's (AFS ID 1000) tokens for afs@folkvang.org
[Expires...]

the tokens command is the very same binary file in each
case, made available to the client-only machine via
the AFS filesystem.

Apparently, the kinit/aklog process does something
slightly different than the pam assisted one-step
login process: it is seeing and pulling in to the
Cache Manager the AFS ID whereas the pam assisted
login process (which does obtain krbtgt as kinit
would, and the afs/folkvang.org@FOLKVANG.ORG service
ticket, and apparently also the AFS token
afs@folkvang.org) does not bring the AFS ID along.

So my question (2) is: is this absence of the AFS ID as
seen in the output of the tokens command going to
cause me any problems?

Both AFS server/client and AFS client-only machines are
i386_linux24 machines running the SuSE 9 distro as a
base, but with MIT Kerberos 5 built from source and
OpenAFS 1.2.11 also built from source.  The pam
configuration queries an OpenLDAP server for user data
first, then the local /etc/passwd files if that fails,
then gets kerberos tickets (I think I have the
ordering correct here).  But I'm worried that
something subtle (and problematic) may be associated
with the absence of the AFS ID in the output of the
tokens command.

As this user, I can see files in my local cell's AFS
filesystem with ACL of system:authuser rl, so that
much is working, but could this be a problem
elsewhere?

This turned out to be longer than I had hoped, but
still much less lengthy than what I filed away.
Apologies for the length.  TIA for any help.

-Kevin