[OpenAFS] Still seeing problems with Drive Letters tab in new OpenAFS Windows build

Russ Howard russ@cs.pitt.edu
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 15:54:28 -0500

I just downloaded and installed the test build that was created today and am
still seeing problems with the "Drive Letters" tab in afscreds.

Here's what I'm seeing:

- I click on the padlock tray icon to bring up afscreds and it comes up
almost instantaneously.
- I left-click on and switch back and forth between the "Tokens" and
"Advanced" tabs repeatedly with no problems.
- When I click on the "Drive Letters" tab, it takes anywhere between 7-12
seconds for the interface to refresh and the "Drive Letters" interface to
come up.  If I bring up the Task Manager and watch it during the switching
of tabs, I'm seeing the following:  After about 5-6 seconds, the status of
the AFS Client (afscreds) changes from "Running" to "Not Responding".  It
stays in the not responding state until the interface refreshes itself.
Also, sometimes, during the switch, two listings for the AFS Client will
appear in the Task Manager listing, one listed constantly as "Not
Responding" and the other that cycles between "Not Responding" and
"Running".  The duplicate entry will disappear when the AFS Client interface
correctly updates itself.
- Clicking on another tab to switch from the "Drive Letters" tab also takes
7-12 seconds to switch with the same behavior in the Task Manager noted
above.
- After access the "Drive Letters" tab, I can no longer right-click on the
tray icon to access the context menu items reliably.  Sometimes, the context
menu will never appear, other times, it will appear after a minute or two at
the point where my mouse pointer is currently on the screen.  However, I am
unable to interact with the menu and the only way to remove it is to kill
the afscreds.exe process.
- After accessing the "Drive Letters" tab, if I put my mouse pointer over
the AFS Client tray icon (I don't even have to click on it), the AFS Client
status in the Task Manager starts cycling between the "Running" and "Not
Responding" states.  The cycle goes like this:  approximately 5 seconds in
the "Running" state followed by approximately 2 seconds in the "Not
Responding" state.

I hope these descriptions may be of some help.

---
Russ Howard