[OpenAFS] Salvage and .gconf lock and other problems with OpenAFS 1.2.10 and 1.2.11

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:14:08 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Renata Maria Dart wrote:

> Hi, here are a few more details regarding our experience with this
> problem.
>
> 1.  We only transitioned from Transarc to OpenAFS last year
> during the summer.  Since that time our fileservers have been stable.
> We did a clean restart of them all once in September (to fix a server
> key problem), and since then there have been no issues until afs09
> started having problems in January.   Along with the troubles afs09
> has been seeing, users  with home directory volumes on  it started
> reporting .gconf lock problems for the first time, after unclean
> restarts of the fileserver.  Derrick mentioned that other AFS
> admins were reporting .gconf lock problems with no fileserver
> restart.  Could it be that they had the 4a.m. Sunday morning general

I said, or meant to say, no *unclean* restart. I can't go check the
archives, cell-phone-as-modem is slow.

> started using 100% of one of the 2 cpus and it could not respond to any
> vos commands.  Can you tell me if there is any information I could gather
> to help solve this one?

strace output of the child (not the parent in wait)
a core of the child (which you can generate with gcore or gdb's
generate-core-file on a running process)