[OpenAFS] Salvage and .gconf lock and other problems with OpenAFS 1.2.10 and 1.2.11

Jack Neely slack@quackmaster.net
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:42:40 -0500

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 03:34:15PM -0800, Renata Maria Dart wrote:
> Hi, here are a few more details regarding our experience with this
> problem.
>
> 1.  We only transitioned from Transarc to OpenAFS last year
> during the summer.  Since that time our fileservers have been stable.
> We did a clean restart of them all once in September (to fix a server
> key problem), and since then there have been no issues until afs09
> started having problems in January.   Along with the troubles afs09
> has been seeing, users  with home directory volumes on  it started
> reporting .gconf lock problems for the first time, after unclean
> restarts of the fileserver.  Derrick mentioned that other AFS
> admins were reporting .gconf lock problems with no fileserver
> restart.  Could it be that they had the 4a.m. Sunday morning general
> restart and/or the 5:00a.m. every day automatic restart still
> set and perhaps didn't even know or remember it?  We have ours
> turned off, both the general and the new binary.  Another thought
> here is that while some users complain very quickly post-crash
> about their corrupted .gconf directory, others may not use gnome
> until a week or more after the crash, and if you don't find that
> out, it may seem like a failure out of the blue.

I've experianced the .gconf lock issue on Transarc 3.6 servers.  I've
got some stuff back in the archives about it but I can't for the life of
me reproduce the problem on demand.

Jack Neely

--
Jack Neely <slack@quackmaster.net>
Realm Linux Administration and Development