[OpenAFS] [Q] Sudden stop during volume creation..

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 03:56:21 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, NeXT wrote:

> > The flipside is people aren't falling over themselves reporting this
> > problem; it could be your OS, for instance.
>
> Yes, right, but if it does not work my OS, it is of no use at least
> for me :-)

I often find that asking my OS vendor to fix problems with my OS yields
better results than asking some other random person to do it.

But that's not to say that is your problem, only that you're jumping to
conclusions without letting those pesky facts bother you.

> Strangely enough, some kernel version does not emit this, and even with
> same kernel, some machine emits these errors, others not. The
> difference is
> one receives 15,000 requests per unit time, and other 30,000.

Same hardware? New pthreads library support in kernel versus not?

> > Are you running the volserver out of threads?
> >

> Probably. I'm using Linux version in OpenAFS site.

Not relevant.

> > rxdebug on the volserver port should show you waitprocs, if there are
> > any.
>
> OK, I'll try this.  think strace will show more helpful information on
> the situation :-)

No, which is why I suggested a different manner to gather debug info.