[OpenAFS] Solaris servers and >1TB disks

Stephen Joyce stephen@physics.unc.edu
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:40:04 -0500 (EST)

I'm planning to add a new Solaris9 fileserver to my cell with an attached
raid of 1.4TB.  I see that as of Solaris 9 8/03, ufs filesystems of over
1TB are supported, but that the format of the disk labels has changed
(EFI, Extensible Firmware Interface:
http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-0493/6mg9pruaf?q=efi&a=view ).

Up until now, my largest fileserver had ~450GB on it.  Luckily I've only
had a fsck/salvage situation on one of the 450GB servers once in 2 years
and it only took ~25 mins.

So...
	Can anyone confirm that the Solaris OpenAFS inode server will
function normally on a >1TB ufs, but EFI labelled, disk (I'm planning 7
200GB partitions)?  I'm assume so, but am uncertain enough to ask. Multiple
LUNs of less than 1TB each are another option.

	Should I just ditch the inode server and go with the namei server
on Solaris (so that I can turn on logging to reduce the need for fscks)?  I
think I remember reading that there's a not-insignificant performance
penalty between inode and namei, but I can't seem to find that info right
now.

Cheers,
Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator                                            P A N I C

When solving a system "panic", you must first ask yourself what you
were doing that could possibly frighten an operating system.