[OpenAFS] Solaris servers and >1TB disks

Alf Wachsmann alfw@slac.stanford.edu
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 10:27:11 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Stephen Joyce wrote:
> 	Can anyone confirm that the Solaris OpenAFS inode server will
> function normally on a >1TB ufs, but EFI labelled, disk (I'm planning 7
> 200GB partitions)?  I'm assume so, but am uncertain enough to ask. Multiple
> LUNs of less than 1TB each are another option.

See https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2004-March/012514.html
The answer: it does not work (yet).

> 	Should I just ditch the inode server and go with the namei server
> on Solaris (so that I can turn on logging to reduce the need for fscks)?  I
> think I remember reading that there's a not-insignificant performance
> penalty between inode and namei, but I can't seem to find that info right
> now.

I have done some performance testing with Solaris 9 on x86 and saw a
some performance difference between inode and namei but it depends on
the profile of your applications.
See http://grand.central.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/PerformanceWork

-- Alf.

  Alf Wachsmann                       | e-mail: alfw@slac.stanford.edu
  SLAC Computing Service              | Phone:  +1-650-926-4802
  2575 Sand Hill Road, M/S 97         | FAX:    +1-650-926-3329
  Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA           | Office: Bldg. 50/323
                http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~alfw (PGP)