[OpenAFS] Solaris servers and >1TB disks

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:27:23 -0500

On Sunday, March 28, 2004 10:27:11 -0800 Alf Wachsmann
<alfw@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Stephen Joyce wrote:
>> 	Can anyone confirm that the Solaris OpenAFS inode server will
>> function normally on a >1TB ufs, but EFI labelled, disk (I'm planning 7
>> 200GB partitions)?  I'm assume so, but am uncertain enough to ask.
>> Multiple LUNs of less than 1TB each are another option.
>
> See
> https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2004-March/012514.html
> The answer: it does not work (yet).

Not quite.  A >1TB filesystem as a vice partition won't work, because vfsck
doesn't understand the modified filesystem structure required to support
this.  We're working with Sun on getting this situation resolved.

But what Stephen is asking about is several smaller filesystems on a >1TB
_disk_ (i.e. a RAID array).  I see no reason why that shouldn't work; none
of our code (including vfsck) knows anything about disk labels.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer