[OpenAFS] Solaris servers and >1TB disks

Stephen Joyce stephen@physics.unc.edu
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:35:43 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> Not quite.  A >1TB filesystem as a vice partition won't work, because vfsck
> doesn't understand the modified filesystem structure required to support
> this.  We're working with Sun on getting this situation resolved.
>
> But what Stephen is asking about is several smaller filesystems on a >1TB
> _disk_ (i.e. a RAID array).  I see no reason why that shouldn't work; none
> of our code (including vfsck) knows anything about disk labels.

Jeffrey & Alf, thanks for the replies.

Just to recap: do I understand correctly that a >1TB disk is OK as long
as the separate /vice partitions are reasonable (read < 1TB)?

I notice that solaris, by default, turns logging on for filesystems
(partitions) larger than 1TB.  If that is the only problem, would it
suffice to simply specify "nologging" when mounting the /vice
partitions?...  Or is there some other issue with the filesystem on such
large partitions?  (note, I'm not saying it's wise to potentially need to
fsck such a large partition; namei on ufs with logging is probably wisest).

> -- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+@cmu.edu>
>    Sr. Research Systems Programmer
>    School of Computer Science - Research Computing Facility
>    Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA

Cheers,
Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator                                            P A N I C

"It never ceases to amaze me how many best scripting languages there are."
		--Larry Wall