[OpenAFS] Solaris servers and >1TB disks

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:33:01 -0500

On Tuesday, March 30, 2004 13:35:43 -0500 Stephen Joyce
<stephen@physics.unc.edu> wrote:

> Just to recap: do I understand correctly that a >1TB disk is OK as long
> as the separate /vice partitions are reasonable (read < 1TB)?

Yes.

> I notice that solaris, by default, turns logging on for filesystems
> (partitions) larger than 1TB.  If that is the only problem, would it
> suffice to simply specify "nologging" when mounting the /vice
> partitions?...  Or is there some other issue with the filesystem on such
> large partitions?  (note, I'm not saying it's wise to potentially need to
> fsck such a large partition; namei on ufs with logging is probably
> wisest).

It does, and you can turn logging off on such filesystems, but that's not
sufficient.  The filesystem structure is different, such that our vfsck
cannot properly check and repair such a filesystem.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer