[OpenAFS] Optimizing AFS for low bandwidth connections

Jimmy Engelbrecht jimmy@e.kth.se
05 May 2004 14:35:34 +0200

Aaron Stanley <astanley@strozllc.com> writes:

> Over the last few days I've been noticing a bunch of slow transfer and
> latency issues with my AFS servers

you mean the fileserver ? or the VLDB/PT ?

> and have come to the conclusion that a
> lot of the problems stem from having servers scattered across low bandwidth
> connections.

does not sound reasonable to me.

> I'm wondering if anybody has any advice for optimizing AFS access for
> servers that are placed across T1 links.  An example:

define "server", fileserver ? VLDB/PT-server ?

> Tonight I tried transferring a 200MB file from my desktop to a volume on the
> server on my local (1GB) network.  It took over an hour.  As soon as I
> shutdown the slowest server

what kind of server ?

> It seems like the client is ranking the slowest server as the lowest VLDB
> server, which appears to be wrong according to the algorithm it should use
> to choose which server is ranked lowest.  What is the best way for me to
> provide the fastest local file service to all of my locations?

the performace of your VLDB should have almost no impact on your fileserver
performace while transfering a 200mb file.

> Should I only run VLDB services out of one location (instead of on four
> servers in three locations)?

i dont think so.

> Are there client configuration settings that might help the local clients
> speed up access to their local servers at all?

again, local what-server ?

> Any help is greatly appreciated.

i do not understand your scenario.

/Jimmy