[OpenAFS] Switch containers between two fileservers

Sven Oehme oehmes@de.ibm.com
Sun, 9 May 2004 15:52:26 +0200

--=_alternative 004C3160C1256E8F_=

Hy Derek ,

that's not 100% true , if you switch the ip address of the old server
together with the disk arrays to the new Server :-)

Sven

Dept. A141,  TG/SSG EMEA AIS Strategy and Architecture
Development Leader Stonehenge
IBM intranet ---> http://w3.ais.mainz.de.ibm.com/stonehenge/
internet ---> http://www-5.ibm.com/services/de/its/filestore.html
Phone (+49)-6131-84-3151
Fax      (+49)-6131-84-6708
Mobil   (+49)-171-970-6664
E-Mail : oehmes@de.ibm.com

Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Sent by: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org
05/09/2004 03:46 PM

Lukas Kubin <kubin@opf.slu.cz>
cc
openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject
Re: [OpenAFS] Switch containers between two fileservers

I dont think I understand what you mean.

Do you want to move the AFS files from fileserver 1 onto fileserver 2,
and vice-versa?  If so, then you just need to "vos move" all the RW
volumes back and forth to get them on the right servers, and then you
can 'vos addsite', 'vos remsite', 'vos release', 'vos zap' to "move"
the read-only volumes.  Just swapping disk arrays between the servers
wont work right -- your VLDB would get out of sync.

-derek

Lukas Kubin <kubin@opf.slu.cz> writes:

> I have two OpenAFS fileservers. Each one has a system container (with
> the Linux installation) and a RAID container containing an AFS
> partition.
> I would like to switch those containers between the 2 servers.
> Is it possible for the OpenAFS system? If yes, which steps do I have to
do?
> Thank you.
>
> lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Kubin
>
> phone: +420596398275
> email: kubin@opf.slu.cz
>
> Information centre
> The School of Business Administration in Karvina
> Silesian University in Opava
> Czech Republic
> http://www.opf.slu.cz

--=_alternative 004C3160C1256E8F_=

the ip address of the old server together with the disk arrays to the new
Server :-)</font>
Dept. A141, &nbsp;TG/SSG EMEA AIS Strategy and Architecture<br>
Development Leader Stonehenge <br>
IBM intranet ---&gt; http://w3.ais.mainz.de.ibm.com/stonehenge/<br>
internet ---&gt; http://www-5.ibm.com/services/de/its/filestore.html<br>
Phone (+49)-6131-84-3151<br>
Fax &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;(+49)-6131-84-6708<br>
Mobil &nbsp; (+49)-171-970-6664<br>
E-Mail : oehmes@de.ibm.com</font>
between two fileservers</font></table>
Do you want to move the AFS files from fileserver 1 onto fileserver 2,<br>
and vice-versa? &nbsp;If so, then you just need to &quot;vos move&quot;
all the RW<br>
volumes back and forth to get them on the right servers, and then you<br>
can 'vos addsite', 'vos remsite', 'vos release', 'vos zap' to &quot;move&quot;<br>
the read-only volumes. &nbsp;Just swapping disk arrays between the servers<br>
wont work right -- your VLDB would get out of sync.<br>
-derek<br>
Lukas Kubin &lt;kubin@opf.slu.cz&gt; writes:<br>
&gt; I have two OpenAFS fileservers. Each one has a system container (with<br>
&gt; the Linux installation) and a RAID container containing an AFS<br>
&gt; partition.<br>
&gt; I would like to switch those containers between the 2 servers.<br>
&gt; Is it possible for the OpenAFS system? If yes, which steps do I have
to do?<br>
&gt; Thank you.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; lukas<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; -- <br>
&gt; Lukas Kubin<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; phone: +420596398275<br>
&gt; email: kubin@opf.slu.cz<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Information centre<br>
&gt; The School of Business Administration in Karvina<br>
&gt; Silesian University in Opava<br>
&gt; Czech Republic<br>
&gt; http://www.opf.slu.cz<br>
-- <br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board
&nbsp;(SIPB)<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/ &nbsp; &nbsp;PP-ASEL-IA
&nbsp; &nbsp; N1NWH<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; warlord@MIT.EDU &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;PGP key available<br>